Sunday, May 15, 2011

Query Practice

Yes, I know everyone says that the more you write, the better you get.  I thought I got it.  Then I discovered, today, that that goes for query writing, too.


I've been working on my query like crazy, and I couldn't figure out why no one was helping me.  I figured I should start helping others, too, instead of just posting comments, but I didn't think I was qualified to help.  Decided to jump in anyway, and low and behold, I find that the query-writing process is getting easier!  Who would've thunk it?  It's also fun to think about the books of other people.  I've been too wrapped in my own manuscript.  I need to start reading more, especially now that my class is winding down and I've finished reading "The Imperfectionists" for it.


So instead of stressing about my own query, I'm going to try to help others with theirs.   I'm going to read other people's books.  I'm going to let my query sit for a while, then come back to it later.   Then, I'll ask for query help again, and see what I get.  It's sure to be a smarter way to approach the process.  Not to mention more fun!

1 comment:

  1. I don't think there's anything harder in the writing to be published area than writing synopses, queries and blurbs!!!
    We spend agonizing months and even years developing our plots, characters, background and all the rest - then someone wants us to get it all down in 40 words or less!!!!!
    Then we have to be salespeople to get some stranger to even look at what we've done - facing the misery of computer-generated response that all say - "No thanks."
    And finally, in that same frame, we're asked to trim our thousands of words into one to three pages!!!!!
    I hate it.
    But, it has to be done.
    Here's an exercise to try - tell me in one short paragraph what your book is all about.

    Get that done and the rest ain't so hard. :)

    ReplyDelete