Monday, May 2, 2011

He's gone

Everyone is saying that I'll remember where I was when I heard about Osama being killed.  I'm sorry, but I don't think so.  I'm not going to memorialize him that way.

What will I remember?  I'll remember 9/11.  I'll remember how I watched in horror as the towers came down.  I'll remember how I worried about my friends in NYC, and how I grieved for those who were lost. I'll remember the man who was brought into my emergency department with a gunshot wound to the abdomen, and I'll remember that I couldn't fly him to a trauma center because all flights were grounded.  The death toll may have been officially close to 3000, but I will always think of it as 3001.  I can't be sure my patient would have survived had he been able to fly to Indy, but I'll never know for sure.

That's what I will remember.  What will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment