Saturday, May 7, 2011

Did your mother let you out of the house wearing that???

I spent the better part of this afternoon at a dance competition.  My oldest was in one of the youngest groups, and they did a great job.  They danced to a classic song, wore classic costumes, and had a ball.  That's what it's all about right?

Not so fast.  There were a couple of teams wearing next to nothing.  Now, I wouldn't be quite as upset if these were older teams.  (Oh, who am I kidding?  I'd still be upset.)  But these were NINE and TEN year olds wearing burlesque costumes and simulating stripper moves.  I'm not kidding.  All they needed was a pole and they would have been set.

Why can't we let kids be kids?  Why are we forcing them to grow up so fast?  Luckily, my little ones go to a studio where they value dance as a fun way to socialize and not a means to an end.  My understanding is that the sexier outfits and dances get better scores, but our studio doesn't care.  No midriffs were shown by any of our teams.  That makes me proud.

Oh, and my kiddo?  Her team got first place in their division.  That makes me proud, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment