Friday, June 17, 2011

They say you have to kill your darlings...

But I never realized it would be so difficult!  After receiving some feedback this week, I decided that my novel needed a major revision.  Suffice it to say that my word count will go down, but the quality will go up, and it needs to be done.  The only problem is, it means cutting some scenes from the point of view of my teenaged girl.

Now, don't get me wrong, she's just a character.  But I like her.  I mean, I realllllllly like her.  I like her voice, I like her spunk.  I don't know if that will come through from another POV.  But it needs to be done.  So I'm killing my darling, getting rid of Jess's POV segments, and rewriting them from the POV of my main character.

It's hard to do.  It means I'm going to have to re-imagine some scenes.   I'm also going to have to get rid of the segments from the detective's POV, which will prove even more difficult.  He's the one who figures out who the bad guy is and rushes to save the damsel in distress.  Lucky for me, my heroines have a lot of pluck and can get themselves out of trouble.  They don't need the man to save them.  So it'll all work out.  It's just going to take some doing.

Guess I'd better get off of my blog and get to work!

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. I am going through an old ms that I just can't let go of because I love the characters. Happy cutting!

    ReplyDelete