Saturday, June 11, 2011

Submitting is addictive

I feel like I'm on something (which I've never really been, by the way, I just imagine this is the way it feels).  My heart palpitates, my palms get clammy.  My breath comes in short bursts, and I sit, poised over the keyboard, preparing to hit "send."

Yes, submitting is like a drug.  Querying has the same effect, but not as extreme.  I don't know what it is about it that makes me feel so weird.  Could be that I feel like I'm putting my life (and life's work) in someone else's hands.  Could be simple nerves.  Whatever it is, I'm starting to like the feeling.

That's kind of scary.   I know I come from a line of addictive personalities, so I've never let myself do much that could lead to an addiction.  I drink rarely, I've never done drugs, and I won't let myself gamble.  But querying and submitting?  If I want my book out there, I don't have much of a choice.  And I do want my book published.  I really, really do.  So I'll keep querying, and I'll keep submitting.

And I'll keep feeling the rush.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, great post. I totally know what this feels like!
    Found you from QT, where I'm MeddyK.
    :)

    ReplyDelete