Friday, June 10, 2011

Being impatient

This query process is NOT for the impatient, which makes it a tough fit for me.  I've been delaying gratification for my entire life, and now I want what I want and when I want it.  That's not the way this process works.

Take, for example, a request I got today.  It had been almost two months since I queried this agent, but I'd written her off long ago.  Then, low and behold, a request for a full today!  I'm over the moon.  I'd be beyond thrilled for her representation.

So what have I learned?  Yes, you may ask.  I've learned to tread more slowly.  I've learned that this process moves at its own pace, not at mine.  And I've learned that I need to be methodical when it comes to getting published.  What am I going to do?  I am NOT going to send out the submission today.  I'm too tired after a night shift, and I want to do this right.  I'm going to wait (yes, that's right, WAIT) until at least tomorrow.  I'm going to go over my manuscript with a fine-tooth comb.  Again.  I'm going to check my resources on manuscripts and their submission.  Then, and only then, I'm going to submit to this agent.

And then I'm going to have a glass of wine.  :)

2 comments:

  1. These are the two posts I recommend reviewing before sending a MS out:

    http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/2009/01/what-is-book-proposal-for-fiction.html

    http://navigatingtheslushpile.blogspot.com/2011/04/formatting-your-ms.html


    Congrats and best wishes with the full request!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Clutz, for the comment. I'll definitely check out those posts tonight!

    ReplyDelete