Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Off to the races...

This publishing business is tough.  It takes a lot of persistence, a lot of heart.  Rejections are many, requests are few.  And I thought medicine was difficult!

I started querying in ernest this week.  (For those of you not in the know, a query letter is an unsolicited request for an agent to represent an author.  Most agents get hundreds of queries a week.  The odds are not good.)  I'd stuck my toe in the query waters a couple of months back, but didn't really polish my letter, didn't have a synopsis ready, hadn't discovered the many ways to find agents.  After doing the research, I now know about all of these things that the average reader doesn't.  Who knew all the steps it took to get a book published?

I really like my manuscript.  The story is good, the characters are memorable, and the plot has twists and turns.  In short, it's something I'd pick off a shelf and read.  I'll just need to stick to it and keep querying.  Surely there's an agent, and a publisher, out there who will like my book as much as I do.  I just need to find him or her.  And find him or her I will.

I'll keep you posted as I continue on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment